Russia Angered by Kerry's Ukraine Opposition Meetings
Russia has reacted strongly to US Secretary of State John Kerry's planned weekend meeting with Ukrainian opposition leaders.
Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin called Kerry's upcoming meetings a 'circus' in a tweet on Friday.
“It's also necessary to involve Verka Serdyuchka in the talks,” Rogozin controversially remarked, referring to a popular Ukrainian drag queen character.
Kerry is scheduled to meet former boxing champion Vitali Klitschko, leader of the UDAR (Punch) party and opposition leader Arseniy Yatsenyuk on the sidelines of the annual Munich Security Conference on Saturday.
On Thursday, protesters in Ukraine rejected the terms of the new amnesty law, which was hastily tabled with hopes it will end the months-long and relentless protests in the country.
- » NATO to Set up 10,000-Strong Force in Response to Ukraine Crisis
- » IMF Disburses Loan Tranche to Ukraine but Says Fighting Poses Risk
- » Rasmussen: NATO Will Respect Ukraine’s Potential Decision to Join
- » EU May File WTO Complaint over Russia's Food Embargo
- » UNHCR: Syrian Refugees Top 3 Million
- » 5.8-Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern Greece