US Said to Mull Sanctions against Ukraine
The US is preparing sanctions against Ukrainian officials and protest leaders if violence escalates in the country, according to a report.
Reuters has cited congressional aides as saying they had discussed the sanction preparations with administration officials.
The congressional aides said final details of the package have not been worked out, but it could be put in place quickly against government officials - or leaders of the protest movement - in case of widespread violence.
On Wednesday, the Ukrainian parliament passed a law giving amnesty to those participating in massive street protests. The pardon is conditional on people's withdrawal from protest rallies, including in recently occupied administrative and government buildings.
Opposition politicians Thursday rejected the initiative, describing it as an attempt to undermine their cause.
- » Greece to Pay EUR 200 M Installment Due to IMF
- » Police Clashes with Macedonian Protesters Over Anti-Government Turmoil
- » Macedonian Opposition Hurls New Accusations at Government, Protesters Gather
- » Turkish Stream Could Help Greece and Turkey Improve Relations, Russia’s EU Envoy Says
- » Boat Carrying Dozens of Migrants Sinks Off Sicily
- » Varoufakis to Take Part in Meeting of Eurozone Finance Ministers