US Said to Mull Sanctions against Ukraine
The US is preparing sanctions against Ukrainian officials and protest leaders if violence escalates in the country, according to a report.
Reuters has cited congressional aides as saying they had discussed the sanction preparations with administration officials.
The congressional aides said final details of the package have not been worked out, but it could be put in place quickly against government officials - or leaders of the protest movement - in case of widespread violence.
On Wednesday, the Ukrainian parliament passed a law giving amnesty to those participating in massive street protests. The pardon is conditional on people's withdrawal from protest rallies, including in recently occupied administrative and government buildings.
Opposition politicians Thursday rejected the initiative, describing it as an attempt to undermine their cause.
- » South Korea, Japan Welcome U.S. Relisting North Korea as Sponsor of Terrorism
- » North Korea Bans Alcohol and Entertainment During Group Gatherings
- » Google has Declared War on the Russian Sites Sputnik and RT
- » Amsterdam and Paris will Host Two European Agencies after Brexit
- » US to Scrap Haitian Immigrants' Protected Status
- » Greek Island on Strike in Protest Against Becoming Migrant 'Prison'