US Said to Mull Sanctions against Ukraine
The US is preparing sanctions against Ukrainian officials and protest leaders if violence escalates in the country, according to a report.
Reuters has cited congressional aides as saying they had discussed the sanction preparations with administration officials.
The congressional aides said final details of the package have not been worked out, but it could be put in place quickly against government officials - or leaders of the protest movement - in case of widespread violence.
On Wednesday, the Ukrainian parliament passed a law giving amnesty to those participating in massive street protests. The pardon is conditional on people's withdrawal from protest rallies, including in recently occupied administrative and government buildings.
Opposition politicians Thursday rejected the initiative, describing it as an attempt to undermine their cause.
- » Albania's Parliament Dismisses Central Bank Governor
- » China, India Sign Landmark USD 20 B Deals
- » Russia's Putin 'Threatens to Send Army' to Riga, Warsaw, Bucharest
- » Scotland 'to Remain in UK' - Last Poll
- » Ukraine Urges EU to Discuss Drop in Russian Gas Transit with Moscow
- » Scotland Votes on Independence