BBC: Tory Rebels Stand Firm over Immigration Plans
Some Conservative backbenchers could also vote against the government by backing a demand to reintroduce the working restrictions Romanians and Bulgarian, BBC reported.
The labor market restrictions were lifted at the start of the year.
A vote on this was originally due before Christmas, with some critics claiming it had been delayed to avoid a rebellion.
But support for this amendment to the bill is thought to be waning, with the focus shifting instead to the foreign criminal and human rights issue.
Some Conservative MPs fear the government amendments to the Immigration Bill could deprive them of the chance to debate proposals that could bring Britain into conflict with the European Court of Human Rights.
The rebel amendment enters the Commons on Thursday.
- » EU Regional Policy Commissioner: Bulgaria to Sign PA with EC Very Soon
- » Georgieva Is Bulgaria's EU Foreign Policy Chief Candidate - PM
- » Bulgaria's FM Vigenin 'to Be EU Commissioner Candidate'
- » Juncker Adamant To Get Kristalina Georgieva on His Team
- » FT: Bulgaria's Georgieva Plausible as EU Foreign Policy Chief
- » Sergey Stanishev to Seek Re-election as PES Leader