Lawyer Claims Having Proof Ex Interior Minister Was Spied On
A classified document, obtained by the defense council of former Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, proves that the latter has been illegally wiretapped.
The attorney, Menko Menkov, speaking before bTV Thursday, claimed Tsvetanov has been spied on until just several days ago and special surveillance devices (SRS) might still be used against him at the moment.
Menkov said "he stumbled upon this evidence while looking at documents related to one of the charges against his client."
The former Minister faces charges of blocking six court-approved permits to use special surveillance devices against Orlin Todorov, former head of the Interior's Chief Directorate "Combating Organized Crime" (GDBOP) in Veliko Tarnovo.
Tsvetanov, who is an MP from the opposition center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, and was Minister in its Cabinet, has been charged on two other counts - large-scale embezzlement (BGN 50 000) to the benefit of Orlin Todorov, and failing to exercise proper oversight over Interior Ministry officials in charge of implementing special surveillance equipment, as result of which unauthorized wiretapping took place.
He gave up his MP immunity in two cases.
A decision to lift lawmakers' immunity from prosecution is required for each separate case.
"Tsvetanov's actions on the said case – embezzlement to Todorov's benefit – date from February 2102. However, he was spied on after that until just a few days ago. The prosecution has received a letter issued on January 22, 2104, asking for early termination of the use of SRS against several individuals. I will inform Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov today," Menkov told the TV hosts Thursday.
- » Bulgaria Charges Four Afghans with Attempted Smuggling of 29 Syrian Migrants from Turkey
- » Bulgarian Police Detain 13 Irregular Migrants on Trakia Motorway
- » Former Road Infrastructure Agency Chief found innocent in scandalous court case
- » Bulgaria to Turn over Mourad Hamyd to France
- » Serbia Finds Seven Irregular Migrants in Bulgarian-registered Truck
- » Bulgarian Border Police Chiefs Resign over Suspected Wrondoing in Public Tender