Anti-Gay Legislation Rejected by Bulgarian Parliament
Bulgarian MPs have rejected a controversial legislative amendment providing criminal punishment for openly professing one's homosexual orientation.
The amendment to Bulgaria's Criminal Code was proposed by nationalist party Ataka, and was swiftly seen as harsher than the notorious allegedly anti-gay legislation in Russia.
The proposal provided for 1 - 5 years in prison and a fine of BGN 5,000 - 10,000 for persons who "by organizing or participating in events, rallies and parades, or through the media and the internet publicly manifest their own or of other persons homosexual orientation".
The amendment was rejected in November by the parliamentary committee on human rights and citizens' complaints as unconstitutional and discriminatory.
Unexpectedly, however, it was put onto Parliament's agenda and was discussed in plenary Wednesday.
Ataka MPs argued for the proposal using, among other things, references from the Bible.
- » Wildfire Near Bulgaria’s Lesovo Border Crossing Contained
- » Bulgaria’s Environment Minister to Cut Ribbon on Waste Management System in Vidin
- » Forest Fire Damage in Bulgaria since Jan 2015 Estimated at BGN 10 M
- » 'Socialist Beer' Adds Appeal to Traditional Buzludzha Fest
- » Bulgarian High School Students Win Gold, 2 Silver Medals at International Olympiad in Informatics
- » Inactivity Rate of Young People in Bulgaria at nearly 73% in 2014
It's even worse than you realise, bayhuntr: the terms of your question "..do you want a homosexual man...to marry you daughters" clearly indicates that this bounder is not only a closet woofter but also a bigamist, a hard-core Mormon or a Muslim. Mind you, my son has offered to sacrifice himself by wedding a bevy of closet Sapphists, provided they are not of the "dungaree and Doc Martens" variety... ;)
I have a question for any idiots that agrees with these kind of laws... Do you want a homosexual man who is hiding his identity for fear of being arrested, by pretending to be heterosexual, to marry you daughters? That is a 5% to 10% chance it would happen, is it worth it to you?