Insurance Companies: Car Thefts in Bulgaria Up 50% in 2013
Car thefts in Bulgaria are on the rise according to data of the insurance companies.
In a letter to the Deputy PM Daniela Bobeva and the Confederation of Employers and Industrialists in Bulgaria, representatives of the major insurance companies claim that in 2013, car thefts in Bulgaria have grown by 50% and urged the government to take measures for protecting members of the public and the companies.
At the same time, the Interior Ministry's data shows an increase of 23%. The discrepancies may be explained with the slow police procedures.
Ivo Gruev of Bulstrad Vienna Insurance Group said that in 2013, the company saw an 82% increase in compensation payments. According to him, more than 1,000 luxurious cars had been stolen in Bulgaria over the past year.
According to Asen Hristov of Euroins Insurance Group, his company has seen a growth in the thefts of low and middle class cars.
"The cars are mostly stolen to be taken apart and sold as secondhand parts in the auto morgues", Hristov specified.
The data of the insurance companies shows that the most frequently stolen cars in Bulgaria are the BMWs.
- » Bomb Threats Close All Banks in Bulgaria's Razgrad
- » Embezzelement Trial against Bulgarian Consultancy Head Suspended
- » Man Who Joked about Bomb on Polish Plane Released on Bail
- » Bulgaria Court to Decide on Arrest of Polish Man over Plane Bomb 'Joke'
- » EU Sofia Heating Utility Boss Gets Final 3-Year Sentence
- » Controversial Bulgarian Judge Dismissed