Pironkova Out of Fed Cup Due to Injury
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova and Dia Evtimova have dropped out of the national team for the 2014 Fed Cup tournament due to injuries.
Pironkova and Evtimova will not play in the Europe/Africa Zone of Fed Cup which will be held from 4 to 9 February in Budapest, Bulgarian Tennis Federation announced.
Pironkova failed to recover from a leg injury that has been bothering her since the Australian Open.
"I am very sorry for Tsveti (Pironkova), she has always been there for the team. I would like to thank her for her performance so far and to wish her and Dia Evtimova to get better soon," captain of Bulgarian female tennis team Dora Rangelova said.
"Due to their absence, I will ask Isabella Shinikova and Borislava Botousharova to step in. I remain optimistic. Our goal in Budapest is to record at least one win and to remain in the group,"Rangelova added.
Tsvetana Pironkova made her debute at Fed Cup tournament in 2003. Since then, Pironkova has not missed a match until now. Out of 50 matches she played at the Fed Cup, 26 were wins.
Bulgaria's national team has been put in group D in Budapest, together with the teams of Belarus, Portugal and Turkey.
- » Hard win for Bulgarian volleyball team after five-set battle
- » Expected loss for Bulgaria from Brazil
- » World Famous Footballers Arrive in Sofia for All Stars 2017 Charity Match
- » Bulgaria Scores Prestigious Victory Against Olympix Champion Brazil in World Volleyball League
- » Bulgarian Children Who Overcame Cancer Won 17 Medals at Athletic Event in Moscow
- » Ivet Lalova-Collio Places 4th in Marseilles