Pironkova Out of Fed Cup Due to Injury
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova and Dia Evtimova have dropped out of the national team for the 2014 Fed Cup tournament due to injuries.
Pironkova and Evtimova will not play in the Europe/Africa Zone of Fed Cup which will be held from 4 to 9 February in Budapest, Bulgarian Tennis Federation announced.
Pironkova failed to recover from a leg injury that has been bothering her since the Australian Open.
"I am very sorry for Tsveti (Pironkova), she has always been there for the team. I would like to thank her for her performance so far and to wish her and Dia Evtimova to get better soon," captain of Bulgarian female tennis team Dora Rangelova said.
"Due to their absence, I will ask Isabella Shinikova and Borislava Botousharova to step in. I remain optimistic. Our goal in Budapest is to record at least one win and to remain in the group,"Rangelova added.
Tsvetana Pironkova made her debute at Fed Cup tournament in 2003. Since then, Pironkova has not missed a match until now. Out of 50 matches she played at the Fed Cup, 26 were wins.
Bulgaria's national team has been put in group D in Budapest, together with the teams of Belarus, Portugal and Turkey.
- » Bulgarians Spent Over EUR 104 000 at 2014 World Cup
- » Michael Schumacher Is Showing Signs Of Recovery
- » Grigor Dimitrov Becomes Honorary Citizen of Varna
- » Clashes Break Out In Argentina After World Cup Defeat
- » Germany Crowned World Cup Champion After Defeating Argentina
- » Germany Footballers Decided Not To Humiliate Brazil