'Virus' Postpones Trial against Notorious Bulgarian Mobster
The Sofia Appellate Court once again postponed the high-profile drug trafficking trial against alleged mobster Zlatomir Ivanov aka "Baretata" (The Beret).
Ivanov's latest medical examination has shown that he is unable to stand trial this time due to a viral infection.
His attorney stated her client is unable to stand up in the courtroom and must use crutches or a wheelchair. She explained he was in the process of applying for disability retirement.
One year ago, on January 29, 2013, Ivanov was shot in broad daylight on the steps of the main courthouse in the Bulgarian capital as he was going there for an appeals hearing in an illegal drugs distribution case against him.
Ivanov survived the attack and was rushed to hospital.
Zlatomir Ivanov was arrested on February 7, 2009, after he turned himself in to Bulgaria's National State Security Agency DANS. He was charged with organizing and leading an organized crime group dealing with drug distribution and contract murders.
In 2012, he was sentenced to 8 years of jail time.
- » Authorities Prevent 215 Illegal Migrants from Crossing Bulgarian Border
- » Bulgarian Smuggler Gets Prison Sentence for Transporting 146 Migrants in Truck
- » Bulgarian Court Acquits Alleged Drug Lord of Two Charges
- » Mayor of Bulgaria's Galiche Remains in Custody
- » Bulgarian Jailed in Indonesia over ATM Fraud
- » Bulgaria's Prosecution to Demand Custody for Mayor of Galiche