EPP to Expel Bulgarian Agrarian Union – Report
The parliamentary assembly of the European People's Party (EPP) is expected to expel from its ranks as early as Monday evening the Bulgarian Agrarian People's Union.
The information was reported by the correspondent of the Bulgarian public radio (BNR) in Brussels.
The leader of the Agrarian Union, Rumen Yonchev, ran in the last general elections in the country on the ballot of Coalition for Bulgaria, which is led by the left-wing Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) and this is the grounds for the EPP decision as it differs from socialist values.
EPP have explained that the expulsion has been on the table for months, but has not been realized because such decision must be approved by the party's parliamentary assembly.
Just days ago, Yonchev, himself, told Bulgarian media that the center-right and right-wing parties such as the formerly-ruling Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) and Democrats for Strong Bulgaria (DSB) will attempt to get him thrown out of EPP over his recently-stated support for the just-launched populist party of controversial former TV director and host, Nikolay Barekov.
The expulsion will dim plans of Yonchev and Barekov to attend the upcoming EPP Congress in Dublin, Ireland.
Yonchev recently made headline news in Bulgaria after it emerged that he and two other lawmakers visited Taiwan during their winter break despite the ban of the Speaker of the Parliament because such trip could cause diplomatic tensions with China.
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Europe's Stability and Future Goes Through the European Perspective and the Connectivity of the Western Balkans
- » Bulgarian PM: Bulgarian People Continue to Believe in the EU
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No New Recommendations From EC, Great Progress has been Made
- » EC Report: Bulgaria has Made Progress, but Still More Work is Needed
- » Frans Timmermans: We See Progress in Many Areas in Bulgaria, but Still More Work is Needed
- » EU Commissioner Maria Gabriel: Open Dialogue is the Key to Solving the "Fake News"