Notorious Sofia City Prosecutor Demoted Through Promotion
Bulgaria's Deputy Sofia City Prosecutor Roman Vasilev has been reappointed to the Specialized Prosecutor's Office of Appeals by the Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov.
The reappointment comes into effect Monday, Bulgarian Focus News reported.
The new appointment is considered a demotion through promotion because Roman Vasilev has lost his executive position in Sofia City Prosecutor's Office.
Apart from corruption among high-level government officials, Roman Vasilev was also in charge of investigating financial and tax fraud without achieving any particular success.
Roman Vasilev was a key figure in Sofia City Prosecutor's Office in the last five years. In 2005, he became prosecutor at Sofia Prosecutor's Office, and was appointed Deputy Sofia City Prosecutor a year and a half later.
Since then, various operations most of which ended in acquittals were carried out under the personal guidance of Vasilev together with the Ministry of Interior and Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security (DANS).
Roman Vasilev became notorious after he took part in a police raid for the arrest of the former Defense Minister Nikolay Tsonev. Then Vasilev called Tsonev "an utter criminal", and was later reprimanded.
At the same time Vasilev's team carried out several operations in which transparent business interests were involved.
- » Three Dead, One in Serious Condition After Car Accidents in Last 24 hours
- » Sunny Weather Today, Maximum Temperatures 31°-36°
- » Two dead, 18 injured in car accidents in last 24 hours
- » Today is the Official Start of Astronomical Summer
- » NIMH: Yellow Code for Strong Wind in 8 Regions
- » SpaceX delays Bulgaria Satellite Again, Plans 'Doubleheader'