EU Migrants Benefits Bill Very Sensible, Cameron Says
David Cameron has vehemently defended the emergency bill he introduced, forcing EU migrants to wait for at least three months before they can claim any out-of-work benefits.
In his first statement since transitional controls on Bulgarian and Romanian migrants were lifted on January 1, the British Prime Minister insisted the Bill would do more to limit the impact of immigration on Britain and make it easier to remove people who have no right to be in the country.
‘I want to see a properly run immigration system where we cut net migration into this country, it is down by a third but it is still too high, I want to see it come down further.
‘What this Bill does is some very sensible things like saying you cannot endlessly appeal judgements when you are told to leave the country.
‘Very sensible things like if you’re not at risk from being deported you should be deported first and you can appeal from your country at home.
‘Very sensible things like saying that people who have no right to be here shouldn’t be allowed to use the National Health service without paying.
‘Very sensible things like saying we shouldn’t let council houses or private sector houses to people who don’t have a right to be in our country.’
EU migrants had been able to start claiming jobseeker’s allowance and other benefits within weeks of arriving – prompting concern that some people are arriving, signing on and only then looking for work.
The changes were made to coincide with the lifting of restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK, also on January 1.
- » EC Survey: Bulgaria in the Top 3 of the Most Racist Countries in Europe
- » Meglena Kuneva is Nominated for a New Position in Brussels
- » According to New Research, Bulgaria is the Laziest Nation in the EU
- » Bulgaria will Lose BGN 70 Million from the EU for Education and Science
- » The President Rumen Radev to Meet the Vice-President of the European Commission
- » The Minister of Transport and Information Technologies to Work for 5G Mobile Network in Bulgaria