Increased Avalanche Danger in Bulgaria's Mountains
New significant snowfall has created preconditions for avalanches in Bulgaria's mountains, warned the Bulgarian Mountain Rescue Service.
"Quite some snow has fallen, and together with wind and what has been accumulated before, this creates avalanche danger, especially in gullies," said Kiril Rusev from the service, speaking to Focus Inormation Agency.
"People who like to ski outside of ski pistes must pay special attention precisely now," warned the rescuer.
Rusev expressed hopes that due to complicated weather conditions in the monuntains, not many would venture for offroad skiing.
An earlier report by the Bulgarian Extreeme and Freestyle Ski Association this week also warned of avalanche danger in Bulgaria's high mountains.
BEFSA warned that even though there was not much snow before the current snowfall, the cover on many locations was formed in separate loosely held layers, creating preconditions for slab avalanches.
- » Prices of Visas to Bulgaria Go Up for Russian Citizens
- » Reuters: Europeans Switching to Destinations in Spain, Bulgaria Following Tunisia Terrorist Attacks
- » Bulgarians Completed More Trips Abroad in May
- » Decrease in Russian, Ukrainian Tourist Numbers at 10-20% - Bulgarian Minister
- » Bulgarian MPs Vote to Keep Visa Regime for Russian Nationals
- » Mass Inspections Launched Across Bulgarian Seaside Resort Venues