Increased Avalanche Danger in Bulgaria's Mountains
New significant snowfall has created preconditions for avalanches in Bulgaria's mountains, warned the Bulgarian Mountain Rescue Service.
"Quite some snow has fallen, and together with wind and what has been accumulated before, this creates avalanche danger, especially in gullies," said Kiril Rusev from the service, speaking to Focus Inormation Agency.
"People who like to ski outside of ski pistes must pay special attention precisely now," warned the rescuer.
Rusev expressed hopes that due to complicated weather conditions in the monuntains, not many would venture for offroad skiing.
An earlier report by the Bulgarian Extreeme and Freestyle Ski Association this week also warned of avalanche danger in Bulgaria's high mountains.
BEFSA warned that even though there was not much snow before the current snowfall, the cover on many locations was formed in separate loosely held layers, creating preconditions for slab avalanches.
- » Royal Clipper Arrives in Bulgaria’s Varna Port
- » Tourist Trips by Bulgarian Residents Decrease 4.8% Y/Y in Q1 2016
- » Wiz Air Adds Three New Destinations from Sofia in December
- » Bulgaria Registered 15 % Increase in Number of Foreign Visitors During Easter Holiday
- » Early Bookings Show More Tourists Planning Holiday in Bulgaria This Summer
- » Ten Bulgarian Beaches, One Marina Get Blue Flag Label in 2016