Increased Avalanche Danger in Bulgaria's Mountains
New significant snowfall has created preconditions for avalanches in Bulgaria's mountains, warned the Bulgarian Mountain Rescue Service.
"Quite some snow has fallen, and together with wind and what has been accumulated before, this creates avalanche danger, especially in gullies," said Kiril Rusev from the service, speaking to Focus Inormation Agency.
"People who like to ski outside of ski pistes must pay special attention precisely now," warned the rescuer.
Rusev expressed hopes that due to complicated weather conditions in the monuntains, not many would venture for offroad skiing.
An earlier report by the Bulgarian Extreeme and Freestyle Ski Association this week also warned of avalanche danger in Bulgaria's high mountains.
BEFSA warned that even though there was not much snow before the current snowfall, the cover on many locations was formed in separate loosely held layers, creating preconditions for slab avalanches.
- » Bulgaria Air Adds Weekly Flights to Lisbon, Alicante from Sofia
- » Bulgaria to Keep Old Tourist Logo As All Proposals Rejected
- » Network of Electric Bicycles to Connect Bulgaria, Romania
- » Competition for New Tourist Logo of Bulgaria Fails to Select Winner
- » Over 100 000 Romanians Expected to Visit Bulgaria over Easter Holiday
- » Bulgarian Truckers’ Plans to Close Border with Greece Threaten Losses for Tour Operators