Yanukovich's Promises Fail to Ease Ukraine Unrest
Violence has continued in the Ukrainian capital Kiev, despite President Viktor Yanukovych’s promise to make “concessions.”
In a bid to ease growing tensions in the country, Yanukovich announced on Friday that the Parliament would next week consider pardoning detained political activists and reshuffling the government’s top ministers.
But s as dawn broke on Saturday, fires still burned in Kiev. Overnight, protesters threw rocks and petrol bombs at police, who responded with tear gas.
Protesters burned tyres on barricades on Hrushevskyy Street - the scene of recent deadly clashes near the main protest camp on the capital's Independence Square, the BBC informs.
Activists seized a number of government offices across Ukraine.
The crisis escalated this week with the first deaths since the pro-Western protests started two months ago. Two protestors have been officially confirmed dead. The opposition claims at least five protesters have been killed.
- » Bulgaria Deploys Army to Border with Greece After Two Migrant Groups Detained
- » Macedonia's President Partially Revokes Amnesty in Wiretapping Affair
- » Bulgaria's IntMin Reports Slight Increase in Migrant Pressure on Border with Turkey
- » Western Experts Consider Irina Bokova Among Most Suitable Candidates for UN Chief
- » EC Proposes Measures to Improve E-Commerce, Increase Customer Trust
- » Eurogroup Agrees to Release Next Tranche of Greek Bailout
Well, duh! Ofc it fails, because the people in the front lines of the violence are neo-Nazis and this division of the country is a political move for them trying to move to the center stage...
Looks like they are focusing on nut just hurting police, but killing them as well, I bet they killed the previous people too, being Nazis they are the worst criminals and most likely suspects.
Dear Novinite, You do continue - with the persistence worthy of a better cause - call the obvious criminals/killers
just "protesters"/"activists". Sorry to ask, Dear Novinite, but how would You call those who "threw rocks and petrol bombs" and "seize" Your office, who simply kill Your stuff?