Bulgaria Protest Photo Makes It to Online Magazine's Most Powerful
Popular online magazine Bored Panda has included a Bulgarian photo in its list of “18 Powerful Moments of Peace during Protests.
The remarkable shot showing the interaction between 15-year-old protester Desislava Nikolova and a riot policeman was taken by photographer Stefan Stefanov at an anti-corruption rally in Sofia on November 12, 2013.
As the picture quickly became viral, the young girl explained it on Facebook.
“Among policemen, there were some well-intended ones. The one whose shoulders I'm holding had some blood on his nose, obviously he had scratched it somewhere. I saw him protecting people and trying to stop policemen from beating us. I started crying and told him to take care of himself. He replied, "Hold on. Everything is going to be fine". He had tears in his eyes...”
The ongoing anti-government protests in Bulgaria were triggered by the appointment of controversial media mogul Delyan Peevski as Chair of the State Agency for National Security in June – and were fueled by a number of other controversial appointments and wider concerns about corruption.
Bored Panda’s 18 Powerful Moments of Peace During Protests can be seen HERE.
- » Unknown Man Attacked People in a Polish Store with a Knife, 1 Dead and 9 Injured
- » Over 200 000 Bulgarian Children Live Abroad
- » Theodore Ushev Received the Order "Chevalier of Arts and Culture" of France
- » Five Brands of Butter on the Bulgarian Market Have Violations in Their Composition (Picture)
- » From 2019, Bulgaria will Vote Electronically in all Elections
- » The Municipality of Sofia will Plant a Forest near Suhodol