Man Threatens to Blow Himself Up at Thessaloniki's White Tower
A young man has threatened to detonate a hand grenade he was holding at the entrance of the White Tower, Thessaloniki's central landmark.
Police negotiators were dispatched on Friday to the monument.
Employees and visitors were evacuated from the tower, which is a popular tourist attraction, as negotiators sought to talk him into handing over the grenade.
Local media cited sources as saying the man told police he had personal problems.
- » Clashes between Protesters and Police Raise Turmoil in Athens
- » Berlin Allegedly Would Save EUR 1 B Following Athens Crisis
- » Tsipras Calls on Greeks to Reject Proposals of Creditors in Sunday Referendum
- » Bulgaria, Macedonia to Discuss Launching Joint Tourism Packages
- » EUObserver: Bulgarian Lev Makes Inroads in Greece
- » Greece Bailout Referendum: 'Yes' Campaign Picks Up Pace