Man Threatens to Blow Himself Up at Thessaloniki's White Tower
A young man has threatened to detonate a hand grenade he was holding at the entrance of the White Tower, Thessaloniki's central landmark.
Police negotiators were dispatched on Friday to the monument.
Employees and visitors were evacuated from the tower, which is a popular tourist attraction, as negotiators sought to talk him into handing over the grenade.
Local media cited sources as saying the man told police he had personal problems.
- » Tensions Rise on Aegean Islands as Migrants Continue to Arrive
- » North Korea Warns Threats a 'Big Miscalculation' in Letter to Australia Lawmakers
- » EU Leaders Talk up Iran Nuclear Deal Hoping to Save it From Trump
- » UN Tells China to Release Human Rights Activists and Pay Them Compensation
- » Russia's Putin Calls For Gradual Reform of U.N.
- » Turkey-Europe Tensions High as EU Summit Opens