Man Threatens to Blow Himself Up at Thessaloniki's White Tower
A young man has threatened to detonate a hand grenade he was holding at the entrance of the White Tower, Thessaloniki's central landmark.
Police negotiators were dispatched on Friday to the monument.
Employees and visitors were evacuated from the tower, which is a popular tourist attraction, as negotiators sought to talk him into handing over the grenade.
Local media cited sources as saying the man told police he had personal problems.
- » Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey Move to Jointly Tackle Migration
- » Italy Finds 75 Migrants on Bulgarian-Flagged Yacht, Arrests Three Ukrainian Smugglers
- » Turkey, US Agree “in Principle” to Give Air Support to Syrian Rebels
- » Greece Warns of Possible Default on IMF Debt Repayment in June
- » EU, US Issue Statements Regarding Russian Ban on 'Undesirable' NGOs
- » Poland Votes Duda in Presidential Elections