Man Threatens to Blow Himself Up at Thessaloniki's White Tower
A young man has threatened to detonate a hand grenade he was holding at the entrance of the White Tower, Thessaloniki's central landmark.
Police negotiators were dispatched on Friday to the monument.
Employees and visitors were evacuated from the tower, which is a popular tourist attraction, as negotiators sought to talk him into handing over the grenade.
Local media cited sources as saying the man told police he had personal problems.
- » Austria Adopts New Tougher Asylum Law
- » Suicide Bombing in Turkey’s Bursa Injures at least 13 People
- » Spain to Hold Early Election in June amid Political Deadlock
- » Almost 182,000 Migrants Enter Europe by Sea since Start of 2016
- » Bulgaria President Dismisses Attacks over Joint Brigade with Ukraine
- » Austria Re-introduces Checks on Border with Hungary