Bulgarian MPs Blamed for Looming Diplomatic Row with China
Bulgarian lawmakers have been accused of committing a diplomatic blunder that could cause serious problems with China.
Members of the four parliamentary represented parties have been on a fresh VIP tour to Taipei, despite the explicit prohibition of Parliament Speaker Mihail Mikov, Bulgarian Pressa (Press) daily wrote.
Rumen Yonchev from the ruling Coalition for Bulgaria, which is led by the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP), Ventsislav Lakov from the ultranationalist Ataka, Petya Raeva from the liberal Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), which largely represents the Turkish minority and is BSP partner in the current government, and Vladimir Toshev from the formerly-ruling, opposition center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) have used their winter vacation to travel to the exotic country, and – to top it off - at the expense of the authorities in Taiwan.
Explosive tensions between Beijing and Taipei are a well-known fact along with the one that Taiwan is not recognized either by the EU or the US and Russia.
Bulgaria's Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement that lawmakers who traveled to Taipei have not coordinated their visit with them. The official position of the Chinese Embassy is expected later in the day.
- » Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva: Common history must bring together two countries, not divide them
- » Trump meets Ukraine's president, U.S. adds to Russia sanctions
- » Deputy PM Valeri Simeonov: It is better to have dialogue with Turkey
- » Prof. Anna Krasteva: Brexit manages to consolidate pro-European attitudes and reduce Euroscepticism
- » Ukrainian President Will Meet Trump on Tuesday
- » Turkey, EU to Discuss Joint Steps Against Terror
So we should be careful of offending the delicate sensibilities of an oppressive, totalitarian Communist state? Who gives a monkey's what the thieves and murderers in Peking think - we should be supporting a democratic and free country rather than these intellectual and political dinosaurs....