Millions of German Passwords Stolen
The passwords and other details of 16 million email users in Germany have been stolen, the country's security agency has revealed.
The Federal Office for Security said criminals had infected computers with software which allowed them to gather email addresses and account passwords.
The agency has not commented on what progress it has made in tracking down the hackers.
It has set up a website for people to check whether they have been victims.
The agency learnt that the online criminals had managed to infect millions of computers with a program that would enrol them on to a network from where data could be stolen.
The scale of the attack is the equivalent of almost a fifth of the German population being at risk.
- » Bulgaria MPs to Vote on 2016 Budget This Week
- » Bulgarian National Bank Presents New BGN 2 Coin
- » Bulgarian Development Bank to Step up Ties with China’s ICBC
- » Bulgarian Parliament Approves 2016 Draft Budget at First Reading
- » Bulgaria’s GDP Grows 2.2% Y/Y in Q3 - Flash Estimate
- » Bulgaria Swings to Mild Inflation in October