5 Bulgarians Arrested in Greece over Baby Trafficking Scheme
A total of seven, including five Bulgarians, were arrested in Greece on charges of baby trafficking.
The police operation prevented the illegal adoption of a 10-day baby in a deal worth EUR 5000, according to a statement of the police department in Larissa, as cited by the Focus news agency.
According to local authorities, a 62-year-old Greek national tried to conduct an illegal adoption with the assistance of a lawyer from Volos.
The pregnant woman was found in Bulgaria and was coaxed into giving birth at a Volos-based hospital.
After the arrest of the lawyer and the Bulgarian accomplices, police found documents for four other illegal adoptions.
- » Bulgaria Govt Confirms Arrest of French National en Route to Turkey
- » French National Detained in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Interior Ministry Reports Successful Operation Against Cigarette Smugglers
- » Sarafovo Attack: Bulgarian Court Fails to Launch Trial
- » Bulgarian-Australian National Detained over Terrorism 'Sympathized with IS'
- » Syrian Man Shot Near Central Sofia 'Involved in People Smuggling'