5 Bulgarians Arrested in Greece over Baby Trafficking Scheme
A total of seven, including five Bulgarians, were arrested in Greece on charges of baby trafficking.
The police operation prevented the illegal adoption of a 10-day baby in a deal worth EUR 5000, according to a statement of the police department in Larissa, as cited by the Focus news agency.
According to local authorities, a 62-year-old Greek national tried to conduct an illegal adoption with the assistance of a lawyer from Volos.
The pregnant woman was found in Bulgaria and was coaxed into giving birth at a Volos-based hospital.
After the arrest of the lawyer and the Bulgarian accomplices, police found documents for four other illegal adoptions.
- » Court Ends Money Laundering Probe against Bulgaria Ex-Deputy Parliament Speaker
- » GERB MP Agrees to Have Immunity Lifted over Investigation
- » Arrested Attacker Confesses to Armed Robbery Attempt in Bulgaria’s Sredetz
- » Two People Killed in Two Separate Incidents in Southern Bulgaria
- » Attempt for Armed Robbery Leaves One Attacker Dead in Bulgaria's Sredets
- » 3460 Vehicles Were Stolen in Bulgaria in 2015