5 Bulgarians Arrested in Greece over Baby Trafficking Scheme
A total of seven, including five Bulgarians, were arrested in Greece on charges of baby trafficking.
The police operation prevented the illegal adoption of a 10-day baby in a deal worth EUR 5000, according to a statement of the police department in Larissa, as cited by the Focus news agency.
According to local authorities, a 62-year-old Greek national tried to conduct an illegal adoption with the assistance of a lawyer from Volos.
The pregnant woman was found in Bulgaria and was coaxed into giving birth at a Volos-based hospital.
After the arrest of the lawyer and the Bulgarian accomplices, police found documents for four other illegal adoptions.
- » Sofia Court Reduces Prison Sentence of Alleged Drug Gang Leader Zlatomir Ivanov
- » Bulgaria Busts Int'l Antiquities Trafficking Ring
- » TIR Truck Driver Sentenced to Life Imprisonment in Iran Returned to Bulgaria
- » Sofia Court Freezes Property of Majority Owner of Bulgaria's Corpbank
- » Bulgaria's Police Busts Fake Passports Ring
- » Tax Agency Employee Murdered in Bulgaria's Capital