Lightning Tears Off Jesus' Finger in Rio
The statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro has sustained a broken finger from lightning that struck it, informed world agencies Saturday.
A heavy electric rainstorm raged over the major Brazilian city on Thursday, causing power cuts for many households.
The world famous Jesus statue, rising over a 700 m hill above Rio was damaged by another storm last December, when another finger was torn off.
The figure last underwent restoration in 2010, when work worth some USD 4 M repaired damages to the face and arms.
The local parish is expected to start new restoration work in February.
- » Europol Warns of New IS Terror Tactics in Europe
- » France's Hollande Not to Seek 2nd Term
- » Erdogan: Turkey Has Lost Its Patience Regarding EU Accession
- » EP Approves EU-USA Agreement on Personal Data Protection
- » Famous Media Boss Arrested in Turkey
- » Turkey’s AKP, Opposition Reach Agreement on Constitutional Amendments