Lightning Tears Off Jesus' Finger in Rio
The statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro has sustained a broken finger from lightning that struck it, informed world agencies Saturday.
A heavy electric rainstorm raged over the major Brazilian city on Thursday, causing power cuts for many households.
The world famous Jesus statue, rising over a 700 m hill above Rio was damaged by another storm last December, when another finger was torn off.
The figure last underwent restoration in 2010, when work worth some USD 4 M repaired damages to the face and arms.
The local parish is expected to start new restoration work in February.
- » Rising Tension Between US, North Korea over Controversial Movie, Cyber Attack
- » Tunisians Elect Their First Post-Arab Spring President
- » Klaus Iohannis: Romania Should Stun World with Transformation
- » Russian Humanitarian Aid Convoy Enters Ukraine's Donbass
- » EP Approves Association With Georgia, Calls Russia to Withdraw
- » European Council Approves Juncker's EUR 315 B Investment Plan