Lightning Tears Off Jesus' Finger in Rio
The statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro has sustained a broken finger from lightning that struck it, informed world agencies Saturday.
A heavy electric rainstorm raged over the major Brazilian city on Thursday, causing power cuts for many households.
The world famous Jesus statue, rising over a 700 m hill above Rio was damaged by another storm last December, when another finger was torn off.
The figure last underwent restoration in 2010, when work worth some USD 4 M repaired damages to the face and arms.
The local parish is expected to start new restoration work in February.
- » EU-Turkey Readmission Agreement Enters Into Force
- » New NATO Secretary General Seeks Constructive Relations with Russia
- » 11 Killed, 40 Injured in Ukraine's Donetsk Shelling
- » Spain's Top Court Halts Catalan Independence Referendum
- » Turkish MPs to Decide on Green Light to Syria, Iraq Intervention
- » Caspian Sea Countries Adopt Cooperation Agreement