Lightning Tears Off Jesus' Finger in Rio
The statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro has sustained a broken finger from lightning that struck it, informed world agencies Saturday.
A heavy electric rainstorm raged over the major Brazilian city on Thursday, causing power cuts for many households.
The world famous Jesus statue, rising over a 700 m hill above Rio was damaged by another storm last December, when another finger was torn off.
The figure last underwent restoration in 2010, when work worth some USD 4 M repaired damages to the face and arms.
The local parish is expected to start new restoration work in February.
- » Antonio Tajani Elected European Parliament President
- » Turkey’s Prosecutor’s Office Demands Life Sentences for HDP Leaders
- » Theresa May: Better No Deal Than Bad Deal On Brexit
- » Marine Le Pen To Recognise Crimea As Part of Russia If Elected President
- » Putin: Claim We Have Compromising Materials Against Trump Is Fraud
- » EP Deputies Fail to Elect New President After Second Ballot