Left-Winger Sobotka Named New Czech PM
Czech President Milos Zeman appointed Friday Social Democrat leader Bohuslav Sobotka as the country‘s new Prime Minister.
"Dear Mr Sobotka, I congratulate you on becoming the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic," Zeman said at a ceremony in Prague, as cited by international media.
The move is set to end months of political crisis triggered by the previous centre-right government's collapse over a spying and bribery scandal in June.
Sobotka's government is expected to be sworn in by the end of January.
- » Diplomats Say Russia Targets Bulgaria, 6 Other EU States in Drive to Kill Sanctions - Reuters
- » Over 250,000 Migrants Arrive in Europe by Sea in 2016 - IOM
- » Red Cross Warns of Worsening Humanitarian Situation in Iraq
- » Migrant Arrivals in Greece Increase after Failed Coup Attempt in Turkey
- » Germany to Stick to Open-Door Policy on Refugees, Chancellor Merkel Says
- » France to Form National Guard to Help Counter Terror Attacks