Bulgaria Begins Construction of Border Fence with Turkey
The construction of the wire fence at the Bulgarian – Turkish border will begin on January 20, Minister of Defense Angel Naydenov announced.
"The site preparatory work and the construction of the facility will start Monday," Naydenov said, cited by Focus News Agency.
The construction period will stretch over 45-60 days depending on the weather conditions. The facility construction will cost some BGN 9.6M.
Bulgaria's army began on October 24 the construction of a 33-km fence that will be used to restrict the number of refugees entering the country from Turkey.
The construction began in accordance to a decision made by Bulgarian Government at an extraordinary meeting that was held earlier in October.
- » Bulgarian Soldiers to Depart for NATO's New Mission in Afghanistan
- » Bulgaria Hosts Int'l Conference on Ukraine, Middle East
- » NATO Claims Russian Military Convoys Enter Ukraine
- » NATO's Europe Commander to Meet Bulgaria DefMin, Chief of Defense
- » Bulgaria's New DefMin to Start Revision at Ministry over 'Abuses'
- » Defence Minister Asks For Security Council Meeting To Discuss IS
I don't get it. Are there 2 different fences? On the one hand Bulgaria started building a fence in October 2013 and now they are announcing that construction is to begin in January 2014?
Besides that, how can anyone spend 9.6 Million BGN on abit of wire and fencing posts for a relatively small fence??? Is it going to be gold plated and encrusted with diamonds? It beggars belief and looks like someone is going to make a pretty penny out of this.