Bulgaria’s Dimitrov Too Hot for Melbourne Heat, Earns 2nd Win
Bulgaria's top tennis player Grigor Dimitrov qualified for the 3rd round of the Australian Open, despite the various shifts in weather conditions, which interrupted his match.
Dimitrov was scheduled to play Taiwan's Yen-Hsun Lu at around 6 AM Bulgarian time. The scorching heat in Melbourne however, caused organizers to delay the start of the match by over 3 hours. Temperatures soared up to 44 degrees Celsius.
After a strong first set, which the Bulgarian won 6:3, he found himself behind 0:3 in the second. With a strong comeback, Dimitrov managed to turn the set around, winning 6 consecutive games.
In the beginning of the third set, the match was interrupted once again, this time due to sudden rain showers. After the rain delay, the two players fought hard and the set had to be decided by a tie break at 6:6, which Dimitrov epically won 13-11.
This is the first time the 22-year-old from Haskovo progresses into the 3rd round of the Australian Open.
In the 3rd round, Dimitrov will face the winner of the match between Milos Raonic (Canada) and Victor Hanescu (Romania).
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov To Play at Sofia ATP Tour Event
- » Coach of Bulgaria's Levski PFC Quits Team
- » Juan Martin del Potro Defeats Bulgaria's Dimitrov in Stockholm
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Reaches Stockholm Semi-Finals
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Reaches Stockholm Quarter Finals
- » Ludogorets Suffers Heavy Defeat from Arsenal in London