Ex-Sofia District Attorney Elected Sofia City Prosecutor
Bulgaria's Supreme Judicial Council elected Hristo Dinev as the new Sofia City Prosecutor.
Dinev, a former Sofia District Attorney was chosen over his contender Boyko Atanasov by 16 to 4 votes, while 3 magistrates abstained, reports Dnevnik.
The Sofia City Prosecution conducts some of the most important investigations in the country, including high-level corruption, crimes committed by people with immunity, financial and tax frauds, and European fund frauds.
The Sofia City Prosecutor's position has been vacant since last April, when Nikolay Kokinov resigned from the post following the publication of leaked wiretaps of a conversation between him, the former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, and the former Agriculture Minister Miroslav Naydenov.
Later, Kokinov was dismissed from the judiciary by the Supreme Council.
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov Receives High Public Approval Rating
- » Regional Minister Expects No More Delays to Launch of Maritsa Motorway
- » Bulgaria's Nedelino Has New Mayor as Court Removes Former Holder
- » Bulgaria’s Environment Ministry Files BGN 180 000 Lawsuit against Concessionaire of Bansko Ski Zone
- » Bulgaria’s President Backs Judicial Reform through Constitutional Changes
- » Bulgarian Socialist Party to Try to Appeal New Debt of BGN 16 B at Constitutional Court