FM: Iran Will Participate in Geneva-2 Under No Preconditions
Iran will participate in the Geneva-2 peace conference on Syria provided there are no preconditions, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stated.
"If invited to the conference, as well as other participants, Iran will take part in the event. However, we will not participate if preconditions for participation are put forward against us. Out of a sense of dignity and honour for our country, we do not accept any preconditions for our participation," Zarif said after talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, Thursday.
A split has emerged between the US and Russia over Iran's participation in Syrian peace talks after US Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters that Iran can play an important role in resolving the Syrian crisis, but only as an informal participant at a press conference Monday.
The so-called Geneva-2 conference is meant as a follow-up to one held in June 2012, where world powers issued a call for a Syrian transition government.
- » Over 300 Flights were Canceled at Brussels Airport
- » South Korea Conducts Anti-Terror Drills Ahead of Winter Games
- » Police Arrested a Teenager from Houston, Supporter of "Islamic State"
- » Women Accusing Trump for Sexual Assault Want Congressional Investigation Against him (Video)
- » Millions in Yemen are Threatened by Famine Because of Saudi Arabia
- » Return of Defeated IS Fighters 'Real Threat' to Russia