Bulgaria's PM Confirms: No Sochi Olympics Boycott
Bulgaria’s Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski has confirmed media reports he will attend the upcoming Winter Olympics in Russia’s Sochi.
The embattled Socialist Prime Minister, whose government is known to have warm ties with Russia, told reporters in parliament he will attend the opening ceremony on February 7.
“Bulgaria is not one of those big and rich countries, which can afford to boycott the Olympics,“ Oresharski said.
Meanwhile, the Trud daily has cited its own sources as saying that President Plevneliev, a distinctly pro-Western politician, is to attend the closing ceremony on February 23.
It was made clear last week that US President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will not attend the Winter Olympics.
German President Joachim Gauck, the European Union’s commissioner for Justice, Citizenship and Fundamental Rights Viviane Reding, and French President Francois Hollande are also snubbing the event, presumably due to Russia’s questionable human rights record.
- » Bulgarian FM Mitov to Meet German Counterpart Steinmeier on Berlin Visit
- » Bulgaria President: It Is Better to Have Economic Crisis than Historic Shame
- » President to Attend Holocaust Remembrance Ceremonies in Poland, Czech Republic
- » Two Bulgarian Nationals Arrested in Libya for Alleged Smuggling
- » Bulgaria, Switzerland Shake Hands on Cooperation Agreement Worth CHF 76 M
- » Bulgaria Continues to Back Russia Sanctions despite Disadvantages for Exporters
“Bulgaria is not one of those big and rich countries, which can afford to boycott the Olympics,“ Oresharski said.".......................................
Lol, not very bright is he and completely lacking in tact and logic. We all know what he really means. I guess that's why Stanishite and the Turks preferred and chose him as PM. Dimwits and peasants rule! What an embarrassment for Bulgaria.
I do not dispute PM Oresharki's decision: he must have his own (diplomatic) reasons. But, for him to state that:
“Bulgaria is not one of those big and rich countries, which can afford to boycott the Olympics,“ Oresharski said" seems to me to denigrate and actively insult every citizen (and resident of) Bulgaria, in terms of support of basic human rights.
What is this - the New Russian Yoke?