Stosur Puts End to Bulgarian Pironkova’s Australian Run
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova lost in the 2nd round of the Australian Open to the hosts' representative Samantha Stosur, 2:6, 0:6.
This is the first loss for Pironkova in 2014, following 9 consecutive wins, which included her first trophy in a WTA tournament, last week in Sydney.
Evidently tired after her long series of matches, the Bulgarian was not up to the challenge of the world number 17. In the middle of the first set, Pironkova felt pain in her left thigh, which prompted her to take a medical break between the sets.
Playing with a bandaged leg, Pironkova struggled in the second set, winning only 3 points until 0:5. Nonetheless, she didn't forfeit, and carried on until the end of the match, which lasted only an hour and 7 minutes.
In the 3rd round, Stosur will face Serbia's Ana Ivanovic.
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Defeats Australia's Ebden to Progress to 2nd Round of US Open
- » Bulgarian Mountain Runner Sets New Record on Completing Kom-Emine Hike
- » Bulgaria’s Ivet lalova-Collio Comes 7th in 200m World Final
- » Serie A Newcomer Signs Bulgarian Winger Aleksandar Tonev
- » Bulgaria’s Ivet Lalova-Collio Books Spot in Women’s 200m Final in Beijing
- » Bulgaria's Chess Grandmaster Veselin Topalov Remains Undefeated in St. Louis