Stosur Puts End to Bulgarian Pironkova’s Australian Run
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova lost in the 2nd round of the Australian Open to the hosts' representative Samantha Stosur, 2:6, 0:6.
This is the first loss for Pironkova in 2014, following 9 consecutive wins, which included her first trophy in a WTA tournament, last week in Sydney.
Evidently tired after her long series of matches, the Bulgarian was not up to the challenge of the world number 17. In the middle of the first set, Pironkova felt pain in her left thigh, which prompted her to take a medical break between the sets.
Playing with a bandaged leg, Pironkova struggled in the second set, winning only 3 points until 0:5. Nonetheless, she didn't forfeit, and carried on until the end of the match, which lasted only an hour and 7 minutes.
In the 3rd round, Stosur will face Serbia's Ana Ivanovic.
- » Missed Opportunities and Poor Play in Defense Failed Ludogorets in Israel
- » Novak Djokovic will Not Play Again in 2017
- » Ludogorets's Road to Europe goes through Israel
- » It is Official Cristiano Ronaldo is Staying at Bernabeu
- » Grigor Dimitrov Remains Among the Top 10 in the World Tennis
- » Daniel Ivanov-Aoiyama Finishes 2nd in the Final of Nagoya Sumo Tournamen