Bulgaria Firm on Shale Gas Drilling Ban
Bulgaria has not and will not in any way change its national legislation on shale gas, says the Minister of Environment and Waters, Iskra Mihaylova.
Speaking Wednesday for TV7, Mihaylova reminded that there is a current moratorium on the exploration and drilling for shale gas.
American energy giant Chevron expressed interests in exploring possible shale gas fields in northeastern Bulgaria, but large anti-fracking rallies forced the Bulgarian parliament to impose in February 2012 a moratorium on all shale gas drilling in the country.
The hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, technique used in shell gas extraction is known to be highly hazardous for ground water.
- » Code Yellow Issued in 15 Bulgarian Districts
- » EU Mulls Abandoning Carbon Tax For Intercontinental Flights
- » Bulgaria's Municipalities to Launch Eco Projects Worth BGN 180M
- » Two Light Earthquakes Registered in Bulgaria
- » 4.5 Earthquake Shakes Romania’s Vrancea
- » Bulgarian Environment Minister Praises Controversial Green Policies