Bulgaria Firm on Shale Gas Drilling Ban
Bulgaria has not and will not in any way change its national legislation on shale gas, says the Minister of Environment and Waters, Iskra Mihaylova.
Speaking Wednesday for TV7, Mihaylova reminded that there is a current moratorium on the exploration and drilling for shale gas.
American energy giant Chevron expressed interests in exploring possible shale gas fields in northeastern Bulgaria, but large anti-fracking rallies forced the Bulgarian parliament to impose in February 2012 a moratorium on all shale gas drilling in the country.
The hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, technique used in shell gas extraction is known to be highly hazardous for ground water.
- » Earth Hour Campaign Will be Marked For The 10th Time
- » Vernal Equinox: First Day of Spring 2017
- » Malyovitsa Hut Awarded Best Tourist Chalet of 2016
- » Bulgaria's Weather Service Warns of Strong Winds in All Regions
- » Bulgaria's Govt Reverses Controversial National Park Plans
- » Environmenalists to Protest against Bulgaria's Interim Govt