Malfeasance Case against Ex Mayor of Bulgaria's Sliven to be Retried
Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov has requested a retrial of a case against former football star and former Mayor of Sliven, Yordan Lechkov.
Tsatsarov filed his request with the Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) and the hearing was scheduled for January 17, according to reports of private TV station bTV.
Lechkov, who had been charged with malfeasance in office during his term in office as Mayor of Sliven and was acquitted by the Sliven District Court and the Burgas Appellate Court.
The prosecuting authority did not protest the acquittal.
The retrial request cites legal and procedural breaches which led the court to reach wrong conclusions.
Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor asked that the case be retried by a different judge panel of the appellate court.
- » Bulgarian Ex-President's Party 'Agrees to Interact' with United Russia
- » Bulgarian Socialist Leader Heads to Moscow for Ruling Party Congress
- » Bulgaria Nationalist Leader Calls for EU In/Out Referendum after Brexit
- » Bulgaria's Rivaling Socialist Parties to Attend United Russia Congress
- » Increase of Teachers' Salaries Can be Discussed in Autumn – Bulgarian PM
- » Bulgaria Moves to Punish Preaching of Radical Islam by Imprisonment