Malfeasance Case against Ex Mayor of Bulgaria's Sliven to be Retried
Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov has requested a retrial of a case against former football star and former Mayor of Sliven, Yordan Lechkov.
Tsatsarov filed his request with the Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) and the hearing was scheduled for January 17, according to reports of private TV station bTV.
Lechkov, who had been charged with malfeasance in office during his term in office as Mayor of Sliven and was acquitted by the Sliven District Court and the Burgas Appellate Court.
The prosecuting authority did not protest the acquittal.
The retrial request cites legal and procedural breaches which led the court to reach wrong conclusions.
Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor asked that the case be retried by a different judge panel of the appellate court.
- » The Traffic Along the Border with Turkey is Normal
- » Bulgarians Living Abroad Should Fill in Declarations If They Are Not Included in the Electoral Rolls
- » It Is Election Silence Day in Bulgaria
- » Urgent Sitting With PM Ognyan Gerdzhikov Due To Border Blockades
- » 14,000 Police Officers to Guard Polls
- » Leader of GERB: Bulgaria Must be More Stable Than Ever