Malfeasance Case against Ex Mayor of Bulgaria's Sliven to be Retried
Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov has requested a retrial of a case against former football star and former Mayor of Sliven, Yordan Lechkov.
Tsatsarov filed his request with the Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) and the hearing was scheduled for January 17, according to reports of private TV station bTV.
Lechkov, who had been charged with malfeasance in office during his term in office as Mayor of Sliven and was acquitted by the Sliven District Court and the Burgas Appellate Court.
The prosecuting authority did not protest the acquittal.
The retrial request cites legal and procedural breaches which led the court to reach wrong conclusions.
Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor asked that the case be retried by a different judge panel of the appellate court.
- » Report on Inspections of Public Procurement Orders Not To Be Made Public
- » Report on Public Procurement Orders To Be Published
- » Another ex-MP Leaving Bulgaria's Patriotic Front
- » Bulgarian MEP Barekov Promises Free iPhones in Schools
- » Israeli Embassy in Sofia Condemns Lukovmarch
- » Glas Naroden, Reformist Bloc Sign Coalition Agreement