Malfeasance Case against Ex Mayor of Bulgaria's Sliven to be Retried
Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov has requested a retrial of a case against former football star and former Mayor of Sliven, Yordan Lechkov.
Tsatsarov filed his request with the Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) and the hearing was scheduled for January 17, according to reports of private TV station bTV.
Lechkov, who had been charged with malfeasance in office during his term in office as Mayor of Sliven and was acquitted by the Sliven District Court and the Burgas Appellate Court.
The prosecuting authority did not protest the acquittal.
The retrial request cites legal and procedural breaches which led the court to reach wrong conclusions.
Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor asked that the case be retried by a different judge panel of the appellate court.
- » One in Four Bulgarians to Vote for GERB in Next Elections – Poll
- » Fiasco and Hope After Bulgarian Government Resignation - Der Standard
- » President Rosen Plevneliev Urges Full Disclosure of 'KTB Files'
- » President Plevneliev: Parliament to Solve Key Tasks Before Dissolution
- » GERB Leader Boiko Borisov Returns Mandate
- » Outgoing PM Plamen Oresharski: I Have No Regrets