Migrant Invasion 'Intimidation Campaign' in UK Failed - Bulgaria FM
Highly publicized worries of an imminent migrant wave from Bulgaria and Romania in the UK have been proven groundless, according to Bulgarian Foreign Affairs Minister Kristian Vigenin.
"I hope that after the manifest failure of this intimidation campaign carried out against UK citizens with the alleged Eastern European invaders, we will be able to start an active bilateral dialogue," said Vigenin for the Bulgarian National Radio Tuesday.
According to the Bulgarian top diplomat, all serious analysts had warned that any predictions of a floodwave of Bulgarians and Romanians to the UK will be proven wrong, as they have been in fact.
Vigenin added he hopes that his visit to London, which starts Wednesday, will further contribute to allaying concerns in Britain.
"I expect the admission that those fears have not been justified. Bulgarian citizens who live in the UK should get recognition for everything they do, including for their contribution to the British welfare system," stressed the Bulgarian Minister of Foreign Affairs.
In addition to meeting UK cabinet ministers, Vigenin plans to also meet representatives of the Bulgarian community in the UK to discuss the effects of the negative campaign on them.
- » Bulgaria Boasts Highest Recognition Rate of Asylum Applications in EU
- » Bulgaria's Defence Minister to Call for Common EU Policy on Tackling Refugee Wave
- » World Bank to Help Bulgaria Improve Absorption of EU Funds
- » Bulgaria Plans to Initiate EU Discussion to Make Anti-IS Strategy More Efficient
- » Workers from Bulgaria, Romania Arriving in Britain Nearly Double in Year to March
- » Bulgarian Farmers Invited to Apply for EU Funding of EUR 50 M for New Equipment