Bulgaria's President: Propaganda Machine in Action over Green Tax
Bulgaria's President Rosen Plevneliev claimed he was being deprived of his democratic rights after ruling socialists recent criticism.
Plevneliev has been under the lash of Bulgarian Socialist Party after appealing in the Constitutional Court for the annulment of the new renewable energy tax on Monday.
“I want to be very clear when I ask what is being done for democracy and for establishing democratic institutions in Bulgaria concerning the basic constitutional right of the president to approach the highest democratic institution in Bulgaria, the Constitutional Court, in regards of a political or administrative action," Plevneliev argued during his official visit in China.
"What seems to be the matter? An attempt to deprive me of my democratic rights has been made. A propaganda machine was put into action in order to oppose the basic democratic rights of the president,"
He expressed his hope that the Constitutional Court will decide wisely on the controversial renewable energy tax.
Plevneliev insisted that Bulgarian business will not be able to attract foreign investors while such unmotivated “under-the-table” taxes are introduced on a daily basis.
President Plevneliev has requested that the Constitutional Court declare the renewable energy revenue tax unconstitutional. He insisted that the fee levied on solar and wind energy producers will create different legal conditions for the businesses.
The 20% tax on revenues of wind and solar energy producers was introduced on 1 January, 2014. The new tax was met with sharp criticism by renewable energy producers, who have staged numerous protests against it. The Bulgarian Photovoltaic Association (BPVA) defined the decision for the new tax as scandalous, opaque, discriminatory, and illegal.
- » The Prosecutor's Office Investigates NEC's Consultancy And Legal Services Contracts
- » 3.5 km Queue of Trucks at Bulgaria’s Dunav Bridge 2 Border Checkpoint
- » Boyko Borisov: Opposition’s Statement That It Would Provide Assistance on Important Topics is Populism
- » Kornelia Ninova:'’We Are Worried About the Demographic Crisis and Poverty in Bulgaria’’
- » Kornelia Ninova: ‘BSP Will Not Split Because of Georgi Gergov’s Resignation’
- » President Expects to Hand Over Mandate on Thursday