Bulgarian Commits Suicide at Cyprus Prison
A Bulgarian national, who has been serving a 12-year-sentence for rape at the central prison in Nicosia, Cyprus, has committed suicide overnight, local media reported.
The man, whose identity was not revealed, has becoming the fifth convict to have taken his life in the past year.
He was found dead at 3 am on Tuesday.
Chronic overpopulation at the prison coupled with dysfunctional buildings has been a source of continuous concern for the justice ministry, Famagusta Gazette commented.
The news of the suicide came just a day after the Justice Minister announced 18 of 35 new measures to improve conditions at the central prisons.
Seven guards and a warden have been suspended.
- » US Embassy in Sofia's Ex-Employee Investigated over 'Mafia Links'
- » Bulgarian Court Overturns Marijuana Grower Acquittal
- » Bulgarian Clinic Reportedly Involved in Organ Transplants Ring
- » Bulgarian Customs Officers Bust Synthetic Drug Trafficking Channel
- » Bulgaria Is Leader in Skimmer Attacks – Report
- » Boss of US ATM Fraud Scheme 'Has Ties to Bulgarian Underworld'