Bulgarian Commits Suicide at Cyprus Prison
A Bulgarian national, who has been serving a 12-year-sentence for rape at the central prison in Nicosia, Cyprus, has committed suicide overnight, local media reported.
The man, whose identity was not revealed, has becoming the fifth convict to have taken his life in the past year.
He was found dead at 3 am on Tuesday.
Chronic overpopulation at the prison coupled with dysfunctional buildings has been a source of continuous concern for the justice ministry, Famagusta Gazette commented.
The news of the suicide came just a day after the Justice Minister announced 18 of 35 new measures to improve conditions at the central prisons.
Seven guards and a warden have been suspended.
- » Bulgaria's Border Police Seize BGN 5 M Worth of Cocaine
- » Officials Detained at Bulgaria's Fisheries Agency in EU Funds Misuse Probe
- » Smuggling Ring Uncovered in Bulgaria as Truck Runs Out of Fuel
- » Last-Instance Court to Sit on Bulgarian Ex Spy Chief's 10-Year Sentence
- » Bulgaria Handed over 72 Turkish Nationals in 2016
- » Bulgarian Border Police Officers Taken into Custody amid Corruption Charges