Berlusconi May Run for MEP in Bulgaria - Report
Reports have resurfaced that former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi may seek to become a Bulgarian Member of the European Parliament.
Berlusconi has been “offered” to contest the European Parliament elections in Malta, Romania, Bulgaria and Spain, Italian media reports said over the weekend, according to Malta Independent.
The controversial Italian politician allegedly revealed that during a meeting his closest allies on Friday.
Thanks to his fraud conviction, Berlusconi is now ineligible to run for re-election in Italy, but MEP elections remain open to him, and, in theory, any European citizen can run as a candidate for any EU member state. -
Reports emerged in December that Berlusconi would be invited to run for the European Parliament on the ticket of Bulgaria’s ‘Law, Order and Justice” - a small, consеrvative and rather controversial party that is currently out of Parliament.
Former Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov has already made it clear that Berlusconi will not be allowed run for the European Parliament on the ticket of his center-right GERB party.
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session
- » EU Leaders Back Jean-Claude Juncker as EU Commission President