Ariel Sharon Lauded at Israel State Memorial Service
Speakers at the state memorial for Israel's former PM Ariel Sharon have described him as an "indomitable" man devoted to the security of his people.
PM Benjamin Netanyahu said Sharon was "one of the greatest military commanders the Jewish people have had".
Sharon, regarded by many Israelis as a great statesmen but widely loathed in the Arab world, died on Saturday aged 85 after eight years in a coma.
He will be buried later at the family ranch in the Negev desert.
Thousands of mourners paid their final respects on Sunday, when Mr Sharon's coffin lay in state outside parliament - the Knesset - in Jerusalem.
There were some 20 foreign delegates and hundreds of Israeli dignitaries attending Monday's memorial service.
They included US Vice-President Joe Biden, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Middle East international envoy Tony Blair, Czech PM Jiri Rusnok and German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
- » 1.3 % of Eastern Europeans Live In UK - Daily Mail
- » EBRD Acquires Stake in Bucharest Bourse
- » Serbia's EU Membership Tied to Sanctions on Russia - Commissioner
- » Atlantic Council Summit in Istanbul to Focus on Energy Issues
- » Kosovo Parties Agree on Gov't, Isa Mustafa 'to Take Over as PM'
- » Ukraine Opposes Direct Talks with Pro-Russian Rebels