Bulgaria’s Pironkova Continues Winning Run in Australia
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova started with a win at the Australian Open, the year's first Grand Slam tournament.
Pironkova defeated Spain's Silvia Soler-Espinosa 6:3, 6:2 in a match which lasted 1 hour and 17 minutes.
The 26-year old Bulgarian was impeccable in her service games, not allowing her opponent even a single break. Furthermore, she won an impressive 88% of her 1st serve points, and registered 30 winner shots.
Monday's win stretches Pironkova's impressive run in 2014 to 9 consecutive undefeated matches, after she won her first WTA title in Sydney last week.
The 2nd round should prove to be a huge test for the Bulgarian. She will face the representative of the hosts, Samantha Stosur, who is seeded 17th.
Stosur beat Czech Klara Zakopalova 6:3, 6:4 to earn her place in the next round.
- » CSKA Sofia Returns to Bulgaria's Top Football Division
- » Bulgarian Defender Ivan Ivanov joins Greece’s Football Club Panathinaikos
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Makes It Past Wimbledon's 1st Round
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Starts in Wimbledon on Monday
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov to Face Bjorn Fratangelo at Wimbledon
- » Bulgaria's Stiliyan Petrov to Join Aston Villa for Pre-season Training