American Pilots Monument in Sofia Painted by Unknown Perps
The monument of American pilots near the US Embassy in the Bulgarian capital Sofia has been spray-painted, several Bulgarian media reported.
This happened when Bulgaria was marking the 70th anniversary of the most destructive Second World bombing sustained by the allied US and British air force.
As some 950 people were killed and hundreds of buildings were completely demolished or severely damaged on January 10, 1944, many Bulgarians see the monument as highly controversial.
Police have interrogated people who participated in the Friday protest, but the perpetrator remains unknown.
The monument was covered with a white cloth until it is cleaned.
- » Three-Day Bulgarian Tourist Fair Opens Doors in Paris
- » Fire Causes Death of Two People in Downtown Sofia
- » No Risk for Bulgaria from Forest Fires Around Ukraine’s Chernobyl
- » Bulgarian Ambassador to US Says Was Subject to Hack Attack
- » NGO Threatens to Sue Bulgaria over Forced Demolition of Homes in Roma District of Garmen
- » Two Bulgarian Ad Agencies Nominated in Cannes Lions Festival