Kiev Nationalist Trial Sparks Violent Riots
Protesters in the Ukrainian capital Kiev clashed with riot police overnight, leaving several people injured.
The crowd had gathered in front of a courthouse in Kiev, where a verdict was being given against members of a far right organization, the BBC reports.
The group was sentenced to 6 years in prison for plotting to blow up a statue of Lenin in 2011.
Following the verdict, an angered crowd began throwing rocks at the vehicles with policemen. The police responded with force, making a number of arrests.
It was revealed that one of those injured in the clashes was former Interior Minister Yuriy Lutsenko, who is now a leading opposition figure.
Ukraine has been marked by anti-government protests and occasional violence since November, when President Viktor Yanukovych backed out of a deal with the European Union, choosing instead to seek closer ties with Russia.
Far right groups have played an active role in the pro-EU demonstrations.
- » Austrian Policemen Investigating Death of Migrants in Truck to Arrive in Bulgaria
- » Islamic State Battling Syrian Rebel Groups 10 km from Central Damascus
- » Bulgaria Hosting International Southeast European Studies Conference
- » Clashes, Grenade Explosion Take Place Outside Ukraine’s Parliament
- » Bulgaria Police Helping Patrol along Hungary-Serbia Border
- » Authorities Detain Fourth Bulgarian over Dead Migrants Found in Truck in Austria
Dear foreign journalists! Please make a pressure upon your governments and state authorities. Unfortunately we can see that interest in Europe to the events in Ukraine is decreasing. In case of sanctions against at least one of Ukrainian oligarchs or ministers our way to freedom and democracy will become irreversible. A lot of powerful persons in Ukraine just wait for external signal. Ask (or demand) your governments to provide sanctions!
Please, we really need your help!
Free Ukrainian citizen.
Peter forgot that these nationalists are anti-Russian, so Peter's post is out of character. Now go make a new post, blame it on Putin, Stalin and Rasputin! Call the nationalists 'pro-Western peaceful demonstrators who got brutally attacked by Putin's gang' Yeah!^^ ;)