Bulgarian President Acclaims Pironkova Sydney Cup Win
Bulgaria's President Rosen Plevneliev has sent a letter of congratulation to Bulgarian tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova, who won the Sydney International trophy Friday.
Pironkova, who is ranked 107th and was a qualfier for the tournament, beat 9th ranked German Angelique Kerber, who was seeded 5th.
This is the Bulgarian's first WTA cup.
"It is with great joy that I want to congratulate you with the title you won. Today you made your dream come true, and I believe that the whole of Bulgaria will join you in your emotions stirred from the victory," said Plevneliev.
"Your brilliant playing at the court showed that, with determination, hard work, and committednes, big successes are possible," added the Bulgarian head of state.
"I sincerely hope that the road you have taken will become an inspiration for all Bulgarian children and youths who have chosen tennis and a career in sports," said Plevneliev.
"I hope that 2014 will be your golden year and that Sydney will be just the first of a streak of tournaments won," stressed the Bulgarian President.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Loses to Roger Federer in Swiss Indoors Basel
- » Minev Gives Ludogorets Historic 1-0 Victory Over Basel
- » Garanti Koza WTA Tournament Of Champions Starts In Sofia On Oct. 28
- » Bulgaria’s Dimitrov Fails to Win Stockholm Open Title
- » Grigor Dimitrov Scores Two Hot Shots, Qualifies For Stockholm Semifinal
- » Grigor Dimitrov Nominated For Sportsmanship Award