Bulgarian President Acclaims Pironkova Sydney Cup Win
Bulgaria's President Rosen Plevneliev has sent a letter of congratulation to Bulgarian tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova, who won the Sydney International trophy Friday.
Pironkova, who is ranked 107th and was a qualfier for the tournament, beat 9th ranked German Angelique Kerber, who was seeded 5th.
This is the Bulgarian's first WTA cup.
"It is with great joy that I want to congratulate you with the title you won. Today you made your dream come true, and I believe that the whole of Bulgaria will join you in your emotions stirred from the victory," said Plevneliev.
"Your brilliant playing at the court showed that, with determination, hard work, and committednes, big successes are possible," added the Bulgarian head of state.
"I sincerely hope that the road you have taken will become an inspiration for all Bulgarian children and youths who have chosen tennis and a career in sports," said Plevneliev.
"I hope that 2014 will be your golden year and that Sydney will be just the first of a streak of tournaments won," stressed the Bulgarian President.
- » Bulgaria to Host ATP 250 Tournament in Sofia in February 2016
- » Sofia City Court Upholds Insolvency of CSKA Football Club
- » Bulgaria Drops Ten Positions to 78th Place in FIFA Ranking
- » Bulgarian Becomes First Vegan to Ascend Eighth Highest Peak in World
- » Boyan Petrov Becomes First Bulgarian to Ascend Eighth Highest Peak in World
- » Bulgaria's Ivelin Popov Voted Best Player in Russian Premier League for September