Bulgarian Tobacco Growers to Stage Fresh Road Blockade
Disgruntled tobacco growers will stage a protest rally on Friday, threatening to block the road to Gotse Delchev and Drama (Greece), near the village of Gospodintsi in southwestern Bulgaria.
The demonstration will take place between 2 pm and 4 pm. They are protesting the delayed purchase campaign and low prices of tobacco.
Farmers insist on prices of no less than BGN 6.50 per kilogram. Tensions among them escalated after the first days of the new year, when the belated purchase campaign finally began, but at a much lower price than expected - about BGN 5.30 per kilogram.
If the crop remains unsold by the end of the month, there is a real danger that the tobacco, which is the livelihood for thousands of Bulgarian people, will go moldy.
- » Bulgarian Socialist Presidential Candidate Hits Campaign Trail
- » Bulgaria’s ABV Party Backs Rumen Radev for President
- » Bulgaria Grants Refugee Status to 357 People in Jan-July 2016
- » Bulgarian Socialists Nominate Rumen Radev to Run in Presidential Elections 2016
- » Junior Coalition Partner Demands Explanation Why Bulgarian Govt Turned over Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey
- » Bulgaria to Set up Checkpoints on Minor Roads to Thwart Migrant Smuggling