Bulgarian Tobacco Growers to Stage Fresh Road Blockade
Disgruntled tobacco growers will stage a protest rally on Friday, threatening to block the road to Gotse Delchev and Drama (Greece), near the village of Gospodintsi in southwestern Bulgaria.
The demonstration will take place between 2 pm and 4 pm. They are protesting the delayed purchase campaign and low prices of tobacco.
Farmers insist on prices of no less than BGN 6.50 per kilogram. Tensions among them escalated after the first days of the new year, when the belated purchase campaign finally began, but at a much lower price than expected - about BGN 5.30 per kilogram.
If the crop remains unsold by the end of the month, there is a real danger that the tobacco, which is the livelihood for thousands of Bulgarian people, will go moldy.
- » Bulgaria Penal Code Includes Tough Measures against Insurance Infringement
- » Bulgarian MEP Barekov 'to Quit' His Party's Coalition
- » Bulgaria's Ruling Parties to Seek Consensus on Pension Reform
- » MEP Barekov Withdraws Support from His Group in Bulgarian Parliament
- » Bulgaria FinMin 'Ready to Backtrack' on Pension Reform
- » PM Boyko Borisov: New Gov't 'Restored Bulgaria's European Dignity'