Bulgarian Tobacco Growers to Stage Fresh Road Blockade
Disgruntled tobacco growers will stage a protest rally on Friday, threatening to block the road to Gotse Delchev and Drama (Greece), near the village of Gospodintsi in southwestern Bulgaria.
The demonstration will take place between 2 pm and 4 pm. They are protesting the delayed purchase campaign and low prices of tobacco.
Farmers insist on prices of no less than BGN 6.50 per kilogram. Tensions among them escalated after the first days of the new year, when the belated purchase campaign finally began, but at a much lower price than expected - about BGN 5.30 per kilogram.
If the crop remains unsold by the end of the month, there is a real danger that the tobacco, which is the livelihood for thousands of Bulgarian people, will go moldy.
- » No 'Bulgarian Roots' of Austrian Smuggling Ring, IntMin Says
- » Bulgaria MP to Table Medical Cannabis Legalization Bill
- » Expenses of Bulgarian MPs on Business Trips Amount to BGN 470 000
- » Bulgaria Boasts 92 % Absorption Rate of EU Funds - PM Borisov
- » Bulgarian Gendarmerie to Assist in Guarding Border with Turkey
- » Bulgaria's Local Elections, Referendum to Cost BGN 50 M