Pope Francis Touched by Bulgarian Elder Mendicant Church Donor
Pope Francis has shared on Facebook the story of Bulgarian Dobri Dobrev, who has been raising and donating money to churches for decades.
The 99-year-old Bulgarian, known as Elder Dobri, is the biggest donor of the St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral in capital city Sofia having raised more than USD 50 000 for its restoration and maintenance Costa Rica Hoy informed.
"This is the story of the elderly Bulgarian Dobri Dobrev who raises money on the street", Pope Francis wrote on his Facebook page.
The pontiff was touched by the dedication with which Elder Dobri walks 10 km every day from his home in the village of Baylovo to Sofia to beg for money which he then donates to churches.
The text published by Francis is accompanied by two photos of Dobrev.
The elder man is also known as 'the saint from Baylovo". Ten years ago he donated all his property to the church. Elder Dobri has been raising money on the street for more than 20 years.
- » Bulgarian Town Residents to Demonstrate in Support of Syrian Refugees
- » Introduction of Fingerprint Identification in Outpatient Sector Postponed
- » The Duisburg Casino in Germany Turns 10
- » Flu Peak in Bulgaria Expected in April
- » Austrian Ambassador Roland Hauser Tops Novinite.com's Personalities in the News Poll
- » World Fails to Match Levski's Ideal, Bulgarian President Says