French Ambassador Calls for Apology in Siderov Case
The French Ambassador to Bulgaria expects an apology from the nationalist leader Volen Siderov, regarding the scandal involving a French diplomat.
"An apology would be the normal thing in such a case. I understand that some people get irritated and provoked by the slightest things, but when they calm down and re-think their actions, an apology is expected", said H.E. Xavier Lapeyre de Cabanes for the Bulgarian National Television.
Late on Monday, Siderov verbally assaulted the French cultural attaché during a Sofia-Varna flight and later attacked a passenger and a police officer in a Varna airport shuttle bus.
"This MP said that, as such, he has the right ask for her identification. This cannot be so. MPs only make the laws. He is not a policeman", added the ambassador.
Ambassador De Cabanes stressed that there is no diplomatic scandal between France and Bulgaria regarding the incident.
- » Bulgaria, US Hope for Positive Results from Four-Way Ukraine Talks
- » Russia Sends Protest Note to Bulgaria Over Soviet Monument Desecration
- » Bulgaria Tightens Control over Honorary Consuls
- » Bulgaria's PM Appoints Two Diplomats as Deputy Foreign Ministers
- » Bulgaria's FM Calls on Ukraine to Avoid Sudden Moves against Russia
- » Caretaker Foreign Minister Meets New German Ambassador to Bulgaria