Greece Officially Assumes EU Presidency
Greece officially assumed the EU's six-month rotational presidency on Wednesday at a ceremony in Athens.
This is the 5th time the country takes the presidency, and surely its most difficult, after being faced with years of economic recession, austerity measures, and high unemployment.
Prime Minister Antonis Samaras stressed that his country has made great sacrifices along the difficult path to economic recovery, but the worst times were now behind.
"We will work in close cooperation with the European Commission and the European Central Bank in order to achieve a breakthrough in tackling unemployment and fostering economic growth", said Foreign Minister Evangelos Venizelos.
Among the guests of the ceremony was EC President Jose Manuel Barroso.
Greece has vowed to carefully choose the time to put forth on the EC's agenda Bulgaria and Romania's entrance into the Schengen area.
Another priority of the Greek presidency will be the EU's expansion into the Western Balkans.
- » The Authorities in China Completely Blocked WhatsApp
- » More than 2000 People Blocked Abroad due to Canceled Russian Flights, Including to Bulgaria
- » DPRK Stole Missile Technology from South Korean Servers
- » US: The Notion that we Declared War to North Korea is Absurd
- » Russia Denies it Killed Civilians in Air Strikes on Syria's Idlib
- » Britain has Sentenced a Human Rights Activist for his Refusal to Reveal his Laptop Password
""Greece has vowed to carefully choose the time to put forth on the EC's agenda Bulgaria and Romania's entrance into the Schengen area.
Another priority of the Greek presidency will be the EU's expansion into the Western Balkans."
In other words Greece will just do the EU's dirty work like an obedient puppy, not that anyone expected anything different.