Bulgarian Ultranationalist Leader May Face 5 Years in Jail
Notorious Bulgarian ultranationalist leader Volen Siderov may face up to five years behind bars after the latest incident he was involved in, according to local media.
Siderov, leader of the extremist Ataka (Attack) party, verbally assaulted a French cultural attaché during a Sofia-Varna flight and later attacked a passenger and a police officer in a Varna airport shuttle bus.
As a result, Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov asked that ultranationalist be stripped of his MP immunity.
Prosecutors have gathered evidence showing that Siderov “committed indecent actions, grossly violating the public order and showing a clear lack of respect for society.”
Prosecutors have further noted that he caused a slight bodily harm to Varna police officer Kostadin Kolev who was on duty at the time of the incident.
Siderov would only face charges once his MP immunity is lifted.
Since he has refused to voluntarily give up the immunity, this would have to be decided in a Parliament vote.
Bulgaria’s lawmakers are in a winter break until January 15.
Siderov’s party holds 23 seats in the Bulgarian parliament and has so-far provided key support for the country minority Socialist-led government.
- » Human Smuggling in Bulgaria Is Punishable by Ridiculous Fines - Foreign Minister
- » Bulgaria Charges Two People with Making False Identity Documents
- » Sofia Confirms Arrest of 3 Bulgarians in Hungary over Migrant Truck Deaths
- » Three Bulgarians Detained over Death of 71 Migrants in Truck in Austria
- » Bulgarian-Hungarian Smuggling Ring Allegedly Involved in Refugee Truck Death in Austria
- » Police in Plovdiv Bust Printing House for Fake Documents
Great news . This idiot is a disgrace for Bulgaria in general
Needs to locked up. How is it possible that such of scum get a position in the government. For sure have paid a lot of money to buy votes.
Can't imagine that Bulgarian society support him. He don't have a clue how the real world is outside Bulgaria. Hope that the European Union will punish this scum.