Bulgarian Ex-EU Commissioner Urges Political Condemnation of Siderov
The leader of the Bulgaria for Citizens movement Meglena Kuneva called on politicians to publicly distinguish themselves from the actions of nationalist Volen Siderov.
"I call on all political leaders to publicly distinguish themselves from Siderov. I don't believe that Bulgarian citizens accept an MP to attack a policeman, a citizen, and a foreign diplomat. There can be no tolerance for such actions in a European country. The laws apply to parliamentarians as well", wrote Kuneva in her Facebook profile.
"In return for his support for the government, Siderov is allowed to do as he pleases. This is yet another proof that in Bulgaria, those in power are convinced that they are above the law. The Bulgarian society must make it clear to the political class, that such behavior is unacceptable", added Yonko Grozev, deputy-chair of the movement.
Late on Monday, Siderov verbally assaulted a French cultural attaché during a Sofia-Varna flight and later attacked a passenger and a police officer in a Varna airport shuttle bus.
On Wednesday, Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov demanded that the ultranationalist be stripped of his immunity as lawmaker, noting that his behavior was "extremely scandalous and cynical".
- » Plovdiv Mayor Signs Contract for BGN 30 M Loan from EBRD
- » GERB Meets BSP Friday in Second Round of Coalition Talks
- » ABV Will Stay Out of Gov't, But Will Back Some GERB Policies
- » PF Urges Power Price Freeze, Anti-Crime Steps Ahead of Talks with GERB
- » Dimitar Vladimirov Appointed Deputy Head of State Agency for Bulgarians Abroad
- » Subsidies for Political Parties in Bulgaria Up 10 Times in 10 Years