Bulgarian Ex-EU Commissioner Urges Political Condemnation of Siderov
The leader of the Bulgaria for Citizens movement Meglena Kuneva called on politicians to publicly distinguish themselves from the actions of nationalist Volen Siderov.
"I call on all political leaders to publicly distinguish themselves from Siderov. I don't believe that Bulgarian citizens accept an MP to attack a policeman, a citizen, and a foreign diplomat. There can be no tolerance for such actions in a European country. The laws apply to parliamentarians as well", wrote Kuneva in her Facebook profile.
"In return for his support for the government, Siderov is allowed to do as he pleases. This is yet another proof that in Bulgaria, those in power are convinced that they are above the law. The Bulgarian society must make it clear to the political class, that such behavior is unacceptable", added Yonko Grozev, deputy-chair of the movement.
Late on Monday, Siderov verbally assaulted a French cultural attach? during a Sofia-Varna flight and later attacked a passenger and a police officer in a Varna airport shuttle bus.
On Wednesday, Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov demanded that the ultranationalist be stripped of his immunity as lawmaker, noting that his behavior was "extremely scandalous and cynical".
- » Minister Valentin Radev: 'We are Determined to Take All Measures to Stop the Rising Mortality on the Bulgaria's Roads'
- » Minister Nikolay Nankov: E-Vignette System Will be Flexible
- » President Rumen Radev: 'Terrorism is Spreading in Europe and NATO Must Counteract'
- » International Conference on Bulgarian Church’s Contribution to Saving Bulgarian Jews to Take Place in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Helsinki Committee Launches a Campaign for Abolishment
- » 46-Year-Old Man Murdered in Snyagovo Village