Qatar World Cup to Take Place in Winter - FIFA
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be played in the European winter, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has said.
"It will be played between November 15 and January 15 at the latest. If it's played between November 15 and the end of December, that is when the weather is most favorable," Valcke has told France Info, as cited by CNN.
The tournament is traditionally held between June and July, but concerns have been raised over the potential health risks of staging a World Cup during the intense heat of a Qatari summer.
Valcke's only superior within world football's governing body, FIFA President Sepp Blatter, had discussed the likelihood of a winter competition on several occasions.
If the World Cup was to be held between November and January, it would create a logistical headache for many major European leagues and also for the continent's prestigious Champions League competition.
- » EU Foreign Ministers to Discuss Further Sanctions Against Russia
- » New Greek Govt Objects to EU Call for Further Sanctions on Russia
- » Gazprom Plans to Start Pumping Gas to Turkey via New Pipeline in Dec 2016
- » SYRIZA Determined to Seek Renegotiation of Greek Debt
- » World Commemorates Victims of Holocaust, Liberation of Auschwitz
- » Ukraine Declares State of Emergency in Donbass