Bulgaria's Pironkova Makes It to Sydney Semis, Due to Face Kvitova
Bulgaria's best female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova has advanced to the semi-finals of the Sydney International after a surprise win over third seed Sara Errani.
Thus she set up a semi-final showdown with Petra Kvitova, who is favorite for the title.
107-ranked Pironkova needed just under two hours to dispose of Italian world No.7 Errani in straight sets 7-6 (7-2) 6-3.
The Italian was apparently not in her best form as she wore a heavy strapping on her right thigh and took an injury time out in the second set to get treatment on her lower back.
Second-seeded Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, was the first woman through to the semis after removing fellow Czech Lucie Safarova in straight sets on Wednesday to post her 300th career win.
- » Juan Martin del Potro Defeats Bulgaria's Dimitrov in Stockholm
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Reaches Stockholm Semi-Finals
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Reaches Stockholm Quarter Finals
- » Ludogorets Suffers Heavy Defeat from Arsenal in London
- » Bulgaria's Ludogorets Facing Arsenal in London on Tuesday
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Retains 18th Spot in ATP Ranking