Bulgaria's Pironkova Makes It to Sydney Semis, Due to Face Kvitova
Bulgaria's best female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova has advanced to the semi-finals of the Sydney International after a surprise win over third seed Sara Errani.
Thus she set up a semi-final showdown with Petra Kvitova, who is favorite for the title.
107-ranked Pironkova needed just under two hours to dispose of Italian world No.7 Errani in straight sets 7-6 (7-2) 6-3.
The Italian was apparently not in her best form as she wore a heavy strapping on her right thigh and took an injury time out in the second set to get treatment on her lower back.
Second-seeded Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, was the first woman through to the semis after removing fellow Czech Lucie Safarova in straight sets on Wednesday to post her 300th career win.
- » Stefka Kostadinova Re-Elected As BOC Chairwoman
- » Daniel Ivanov-Aoiyama With 3rd Consecutive Victory in Osaka
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Squanders 4 Match Balls at Indian Wells
- » Bulgarian Stanimir Belomazhev Achieves Historical gold
- » Levski-CSKA Football Game Affects Sofia Traffic
- » Bulgarian Boxers Scoop 4 Gold Titles at Strandzha Tournament