Former Romanian PM Sentenced for Taking Bribes
Former Romanian Prime Minister Adrian Nastase has been sentenced to four years behind bars for taking bribes.
The High Court of Cassation and Justice convicted him of illegally receiving for free EUR 630,000 of construction work and imported goods for two homes from 2002 to 2004.
He was also given three years for blackmail - a term which will run concurrently.
Nastase survived a suicide attempt in 2012, shortly after getting a two-year jail term in a separate case, the BBC reminds.
- » IMF Disburses Loan Tranche to Ukraine but Says Fighting Poses Risk
- » Rasmussen: NATO Will Respect Ukraine’s Potential Decision to Join
- » EU May File WTO Complaint over Russia's Food Embargo
- » UNHCR: Syrian Refugees Top 3 Million
- » 5.8-Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern Greece
- » Recep Erdogan Inaugurated As Turkey's President