Bulgarian Liberals Back Protesting Tobacco Growers
Bulgaria’s liberal Movement for Rights and Freedoms party has declared its support for the latest protest staged by tobacco growers in the country.
On Monday, some 200 protesting tobacco growers briefly blocked an international road to Turkey near the southern Bulgarian town of Harmanli.
The demonstration was triggered by the delay of the purchase of 'Basma-type' tobacco and the fact that its price has dropped by BGN 2 compared to last year.
MRF leader Lyutvi Mestan told Btv that the tobacco growers’ demands are “just.”
Mestan, whose party is part of the ruling Socialist-led coalition, blamed the situation on the previous center-right GERB government.
He argued that the Bulgarian legislation no longer guarantees the beginning and the end of the tobacco purchasing season.
- » Bulgaria’s ABV Party Backs Rumen Radev for President
- » Bulgaria Grants Refugee Status to 357 People in Jan-July 2016
- » Bulgarian Socialists Nominate Rumen Radev to Run in Presidential Elections 2016
- » Junior Coalition Partner Demands Explanation Why Bulgarian Govt Turned over Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey
- » Bulgaria to Set up Checkpoints on Minor Roads to Thwart Migrant Smuggling
- » Bulgaria Ready to Deploy More Troops to Help Border Police Cope with Migrant Influx - Defence Chief
I have visited the tobacco growing region on many occasions speaking with the locals. The MRF closed down the local BulgarTabac factory and controlled the purchase of tobacco, not paying the farmers and have done everything in their power to suppress the region's farmers. At one time, you can walk into any store in the region and find illegally imported cigarettes from Serbia (thanks to the MRF). I do not know why people think that the MRF is a liberal Party, they are on the same league as the Socialists with the core being agents of the Communist State. One main reason for this is that they hold the files of other agents in Bulgaria that hold power, some even say the Simeon Sakskobugorsky was a member of the Communist Security Service.