Bulgaria’s Pironkova Defeats 22nd Ranked Cirstea
Bulgaria’s Tsvetana Pironkova defeated Romania’s Sorana Cirstea 6:4, 6:1 in the first round of the Apia International tennis tournament in Sydney.
After having to go through qualifying rounds, Pironkova proved she is regaining her form, beating an opponent ranked 85 places above her in just over an hour.
In the next round, the Bulgarian will face Varvara Lepchenko, an Uzbek-born competing for USA.
Pironkova has beaten Lepchenko 3 times in their 4 meetings so far.
- » Klitschko Training 'Like a Beast' for Match with Bulgaria's Pulev
- » Grigor Dimitrov Loses to Poland’s Janowicz in Cincinnati Open
- » Maria Sharapova Tops World's Highest-Paid Female Athletes List Again
- » Tsonga Defeats Bulgaria's Dimitrov at Toronto Masters Semifinals
- » Bulgaria Wins Silver at Rhythmic Gymnastics World Cup in Sofia
- » Victorious Grigor Dimitrov Reaches Toronto Masters Semifinals