Bulgaria’s Pironkova Defeats 22nd Ranked Cirstea
Bulgaria’s Tsvetana Pironkova defeated Romania’s Sorana Cirstea 6:4, 6:1 in the first round of the Apia International tennis tournament in Sydney.
After having to go through qualifying rounds, Pironkova proved she is regaining her form, beating an opponent ranked 85 places above her in just over an hour.
In the next round, the Bulgarian will face Varvara Lepchenko, an Uzbek-born competing for USA.
Pironkova has beaten Lepchenko 3 times in their 4 meetings so far.
- » Bulgaria's Ludogorets Signs Captain of Romanian Football Champion
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Proceeds to Third Round of Wimbledon
- » Bulgaria's Sesil Karatancheva Defeated in First Round of Wimbledon
- » Draw Confirms Exclusion of CSKA, Lokomotiv Sofia from Bulgaria's A Group
- » Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov Starts Wimbledon with Convincing Win against Delbonis
- » Bulgaria Finishes 27th at First European Games after Claiming Ten Medals