Siyana Becomes Bulgaria's Baby of 2014
Little Siyana, born at 00:01 am on January 1, is the Bulgarian "Baby of 2014' announced at a Sunday news conference the organizers "Baby of the Year."
The girl is the second child in a family from the southern city of Stara Zagora. She was born prematurely (the 36th week) in the city's hospital. At birth, she weighed 2.570 kg and her height was 47 cm.
The mother is 27 -year-old Sylvia Dencheva Petova. The birth delivery was performed by Dr. Iva Tsoneva with the help of midwife Magdalena Miteva.
Traditionally, the baby of the year receives a medallion and gifts from sponsors of the initiative. She will be baptized by Health Minister Dr. Tanya Andreeva, who is an obstetrician.
Only 61,774 children were born in 2013 in Bulgaria as the country "improved" the sad record low birth rate from 2012. In 2013, 6% fewer babies than in 2012 were born.
This is the lowest since 1945 when the National Statistics Institute (NSI) began publishing official data.
Bulgarian "Nine Months" magazine's annual "Baby of 2014" campaign is organized for the fifteenth year in a row.
- » State of Emergency Lifted in Southern Bulgarian Hisarya Municipality
- » Mountain Climber Falls to Death in Bulgaria's Vratsata Gorge
- » Passenger Train Hits Car in Southwestern Bulgaria
- » Code Yellow Over Strong Wind Issued in 4 Bulgarian Districts
- » Bulgaria Celebrates 106 Years of Independence
- » Greek Ferry with Bulgarians On Board Sinks near Corfu