Woman, Baby Die in Level Crossing Crash near Bulgaria's Karlovo
A 53-year-old woman and a baby died in a level crossing crash near the central Bulgarian city of Karlovo.
A tip-off about the accident was submitted at 12.17 pm on Saturday via the 112 emergency number.
The crash occurred at a manned level crossing in the region of the Dolna Mahala village, Plovdiv district, according to reports of the Focus news agency.
The driver of the car, a BMW, ignored the lowered barrier at the level crossing and the vehicle was struck by the passing passenger train.
A 53-year-old woman from the village died on the spot.
A 1.5-month-old baby, who had been in the car, died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.
The 36-year-old driver of the car, a resident of the village of Strelcha, and a 21-year-old woman from the Veliko Tarnovo district, were taken to hospital with injuries, according to the district police directorate in Plovdiv.
The train was allowed to continue along its route at 2.56 pm after the team of investigators had wrapped up their work.
- » First Snow Falls in Bulgaria's Northwest
- » Bulgaria 'Should Accept More Migrants' to Overcome Demographic Crisis
- » Sofia Hosts Third International Literary Festival Between November 25-December 13
- » Passengers Wait for Hours on Planes at Plovdiv Airport
- » Strong Winds Cause Power Failure across W Bulgaria
- » Anti-Migrant Rally Held in Bulgaria's Sofia