Woman, Baby Die in Level Crossing Crash near Bulgaria's Karlovo
A 53-year-old woman and a baby died in a level crossing crash near the central Bulgarian city of Karlovo.
A tip-off about the accident was submitted at 12.17 pm on Saturday via the 112 emergency number.
The crash occurred at a manned level crossing in the region of the Dolna Mahala village, Plovdiv district, according to reports of the Focus news agency.
The driver of the car, a BMW, ignored the lowered barrier at the level crossing and the vehicle was struck by the passing passenger train.
A 53-year-old woman from the village died on the spot.
A 1.5-month-old baby, who had been in the car, died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.
The 36-year-old driver of the car, a resident of the village of Strelcha, and a 21-year-old woman from the Veliko Tarnovo district, were taken to hospital with injuries, according to the district police directorate in Plovdiv.
The train was allowed to continue along its route at 2.56 pm after the team of investigators had wrapped up their work.
- » Bulgaria's Smoking Ban Debate To Be Rekindled Again
- » Bulgaria's Unemployment Rates Remain Unchanged in Feb 2014 - Stats
- » Bulgaria Commemorates 71 Years of Rescue of Jews
- » Dream Theater To Play in Sofia
- » Brits Saved in Bulgaria's Pirin Mountain Rescue Operation
- » Code Yellow Issued in 15 Bulgarian Districts